This week we were watched a video about anti-bias approaches to deal with gender roles and sexual orientation. These are some sticky subjects so having these videos were really helpful for me.
I got to thinking of some ways that the materials in my own center are homophobic or heterosexual dominant. My center is all about diversity in almost every other since of the word. However, living in the bible belt, many of my co-workers do not see this as a need in the curriculum. So this week, I really looked at our materials and noticed not one book depicted anything other then a heterosexual couple. We have one book entitled "Families" and it shows all types of diversity in the photos, but not one shows anything other then a two parent heterosexual family.
I wanted to take it a step further to see more products and see what is represented in the world of children toys and products. So then went to Netflix, browsed through the shows and realized every show that I recognized, represented a heterosexual family. I then googled " toys of families for children" I scrolled through ten pages before I saw one homosexual family unit. TEN PAGES! I never realized how homophobic or society can be and to think of how different it must make those children feel is appalling to me.
Families can look many different ways:


And even more ways then these pictures represent...
This week I decided to pay special attention to the world around me in regard to homophobic comments made towards children. I saw one situation was a teachers bias coming out in an inappropriate way. I have a child in my class, who is a boy and loves the color pink and dolls. The lady who is a teacher who does my break comes into the room and tells the boy he "will one day be a fairy". I was very offended not only by her very homophobic language but also that she would feel comfortable saying this to a boy is only 18 months old. I believe comments such as these can make kids feel different or feel like they have to play into stereotypes.
I loved the videos ideas to explore my own stereotypes. Next week I am going to really watch to see what stereotypes I play into so that in the future I can create a more anti-bias atmosphere.
Resources
Course Media: "Start Seeing Diversity: Gender" (Approximate length: 6 minutes)
Course Media: "Start Seeing Diversity: Sexual Orientation" (Approximate length: 6 minutes)
Wonderful post, Hailey! It is amazing to me how some curriculums frown upon diversity. I taught in public school and attended public school. I can remember some children making fun of a teacher (who I loved) about being gay. Of course, as a teacher in a small town, she has yet to announce that she is homosexual. My family was friends with her even after I graduated and know that she is homosexual. It makes me sad that many people in society make "coming out" such a negative issue. Great post.
ReplyDeleteHailey, Interesting findings. I commend you for going a step further as well. Very informative. I also find that shocking that your coworker would say that to an 18 month old as well. It is truly sad that these are the realities in our world, but good for you for finding and acknowledging them. Great post! Thanks for sharing your journey through this process.
DeleteHi Hailey,
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your outlook on the video. We have learned quite a bit about the biases we may have as well as concentrated on what professionals or teachers can do to eliminate biases within the classrooms. The example that you provided about one of your teachers is a little disturbing. She probably did not mean any harm, but it would reflect on her if that student was a little older and went home to tell his parents that his teacher told him he would be fairy when he grows up. That alone is an issue in itself. Thanks for sharing the pictures, visuals always help .